Welcome to Department of Physical Education
“Physical Education should aim to improve the mass of students and to give them as much health, struggle and stamina as possible to enable them to perform the duties that awards them after they leave the institution”
Physical Education and youth fitness were assigned a definite place in their schemes of education. The finding of the Biologists, Physiologists and Psychologists confirmed the necessity of activating muscles of all parts of the human body for their natural growth and the health for all round development.
With inactivity recognized as a menace to physiological well-being. Some authorities including the doctors suggest that exercise is the cheapest preventive medicine in the world. Researchers in Physical Education do agree that physical exertion is necessary for maintaining a functional physical fitness. Physical fitness provides us with basis for optimal physiological health and the capacity to enjoy a full life. Probably we do not need a high level of physical fitness to work in a world dominated by technical innovations but regular physical activity is necessary if our body is to function properly.
Health education and physical education have been accepted by the policy framers an essential and very important part of educational activity in schools and colleges. There has been unanimous appreciation that a healthy mind dwells in a healthy body and, therefore, physical and mental developments go together. Participation in games and sports improves the health of the participant and improves his motor qualities and responses. Even more importantly, active participation in games and sports fosters the attitude of sportsmanship, fairness and team spirit. It has been internationally recognized since long that if the schools and colleges do not provide outlet for the youth in a constructive and healthy manner through sports and games, the youth get into the habit of idling.
Modern thinkers in education, now a days, emphasize that the best individual is one who is physically fit, mentally sound and sharp, emotionally balanced and socially well adjusted. Out of the myriads of new facts concerned with educational process, the fact that human beings need a well-planned curriculum of physical education deserves much consideration. It then becomes imperative that the discipline of physical education should be put into proper perspective and thoroughly studied for the welfare of the humanity at large.
Keeping this as a background it is thought to strengthen the Physical Education Department at this prestigious institution so as to enable the student to improve their health and endurance, so that they can perform the duties that reward them after they leave the institution.
FACULTY SUPPORTING STAFF
Dr. P. Ravi Kumar ( Professor & Head) Shri. D. LAL, Sr. Care Taker
Dr. Dhayanithi (Professor ) Shri. S. Prasad, Sr. Care Taker
Dr. P. Madhusudhan Reddy (Professor)
Dr.P.Prasanth (Sr.SAS Officer)
Dr.D.Hari (SAS Officer)
DAILY WAGE EMPLOYEE OUTSOURCING PERSONS
Shri. L Ramesh Shri. E. Satish
Shri. P. Koteswara Rao Shri. M. Raju
Shri. S. Vinod
Shri. K. Ajay
THE DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION HAS FOLLOWING INFRA STRUCTURE FACILITIES
INFRA STRUCTURE INDOOR FACILITIES
- 2 Table Tennis Halls.
- 1 Chess and 1 Carrom Hall.
- 1 Yoga Hall.
- 1 Meditation Hall.
- 3 shuttle Badminton Courts.
- 2 Gym Halls.
- 3 Faculty Rooms.
- 2 Store Rooms.
- 1 Games Boys Room.
IN THE STADIUM
- Multipurpose Ground Facility with flood lights which accommodates standard 400 Mts. Track with Flood lights
- Kho-Kho Ground, Football, Cricket fields and with 2 artificial turf net practising cricket pitches with Flood lights
- Galleries of sufficient seating capacity in the stadium and also a walking track.
- 2 Synthetic Top surface Basketball Courts with flood lights and sitting galleries.
- 2 Volleyball Courts 5 Tennis Courts (2 Synthetic, 1 Concrete and 2 Clay Courts),
- 2 Ball Badminton Courts with Flood lights
INFRA STRUCTURE FACILITIES IN AND AROUND HOSTEL BLOCKS
- 2 Shuttle courts and 1 Tennikoit court inside the Ultra Mega hostel.
- At Ultra Mega hostel 2 clay Volleyball Courts and Basketball court near the Ultra Mega Hostel.
- Multipurpose Ground with flood lights to play any sort of sports and games (rear side of the ultra-mega hostel).
- Gym facilities 2 common halls in the mega hostels and 2 rooms in the ultra-mega block 1 hall in the DASA hostel.
15 Table Tennis tables were placed in different hostels as detailed below:
- 4 Table tennis in Ultra mega hostels
- 3 in the mega hostel
- 2 T.T Tables in the DASA Hostel, 14th Block, 13th Block, 12th Block 11th Block, 2nd block and 1st block.
- 5 Badminton courts inside Chemical & Metallurgical Building and 3 Badminton Courts in Science Block
INFRA STRUCTURE FACILITIES IN GIRLS HOSTELS
1 Concrete Basketball Court proposed to upgrade with Synthetic top and flood light facility.
- 1 Volleyball Court
- 2 Gym rooms in the lady’s hostels
- 1 Tennikoit Court
- 2 Table Tennis Tables
SPORTS FACILITY AND OTHER FACILITY FOR FACULTY, STAFF AND THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS
- Multi Gym facility in Faculty club, Billiards, Table Tennis, Chess, Carrom.
- Separate Indoor Badminton court in Faculty club.
- Separate Volleyball court in Faculty club.
- Children's skating area and park.
EXTRA ACADEMIC ACTIVITY
The Department conducts Extra Academic Activity (EAA) programme as a mandate course for the first year students.
Prof. R.Dhayanithi and Prof.P.Ramesh Reddy got their Ph.D’S in Physical Education from the Department of Physical Education, NITW during the year 1999-2003 under the supervision of Dr.P.Ravi Kumar.
ROUTINE PROGRAMME OF THE DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION
- Facilitating the student and staff community for the utilization of the available infrastructure facility in the institute to be physically fit and wellbeing.
- Conducts International Yoga Day 21 June every year in a grand scale.
- Organises Independence Day and Republic Day in a befitting manner with number of Physical Education activities.
- To prepare institute teams towards participation in the Extramural Competitions like Inter NIT or Inter Universities and other open tournaments in various sports and games.
- Conducting Annual Sports Day.
ORGANISATION OF TOURNAMENTS
- Conducting of Intramural competitions for student’s community
- Organising Extramural competitions like Inter NIT or Inter Universities and other local tournaments.
- Friendly matches with other institutions for the students.
- Conducting fitness activities for the staff like Yoga, Meditation, Etc.
- Helping to conduct sports activities of various Departments & Associations.
* * *